Lotensin HCT (Benazepril Hydrochloride / Hydrochlorothiazide)
Sorry, we currently do not carry this product.
Benazepril Hydrochloride / Hydrochlorothiazide Information
(kap' toe pril) (hye droe klor oh thye' a zide)Do not take captopril and hydrochlorothiazide if you are pregnant. If you become pregnant while taking captopril and hydrochlorothiazide, call your doctor immediately. Captopril and hydrochlorothiazide may harm the fetus.
Before taking captopril and hydrochlorothiazide,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to captopril (Capoten); hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ; Microzide, Oretic); angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors such as benazepril (Lotensin, in Lotrel), enalapril (Vasotec, in Vaseretic), fosinopril (Monopril), lisinopril (in Prinzide, in Zestoretic), moexipril (Univasc, in Uniretic), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril, in Accuretic, in Quinaretic), ramipril (Altace), and trandolapril (Mavik, in Tarka); sulfa drugs; any other medications; or any of the ingredients in captopril and hydrochlorothiazide tablets. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients.
- tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking valsartan and sacubitril (Entresto) or if you have stopped taking it within the last 36 hours. Your doctor will probably tell you not to take captopril and hydrochlorothiazide, if you are also taking valsartan and sacubitril. Also, tell your doctor if you have diabetes and you are taking aliskiren (Tekturna, in Amturnide, in Tekamlo, in Tekturna HCT). Your doctor will probably tell you not to take captopril and hydrochlorothiazide if you have diabetes and you are also taking aliskiren.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking. Be sure to mention any of the following: amphotericin B (Ambisome, Amphotec, others); anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven); aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) such as indomethacin (Indocin, Tivorbex); calcium supplements; cancer chemotherapy medications; cholestyramine (Prevalite); colestipol (Colestid); digoxin (Lanoxin); insulin or oral medications for diabetes; lithium (Lithobid); medications for gout such as probenecid (Probalan) ; medications that suppress the immune system such as methenamine (Hiprex, Urex); monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors such as phenelzine (Nardil) and tranylcypromine (Parnate); nitrates such as isosorbide dinitrate (Isordil, in Bidil), isosorbide mononitrate (Monoket), and nitroglycerin (Nitro-Dur, Nitrostat, others); oral steroids such as dexamethasone , methylprednisolone (Medrol), and prednisone (Rayos); other diuretics; other medications for high blood pressure; pain medications; phenobarbital (Luminal); and potassium supplements. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had lupus; scleroderma (a condition in which extra tissue grows on the skin and some organs); heart failure; diabetes; allergy; asthma; or liver or kidney disease.
- tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking captopril and hydrochlorothiazide.
- ask your doctor about the safe use of alcoholic beverages while you are taking captopril and hydrochlorothiazide. Alcohol can worsen the side effects of captopril and hydrochlorothiazide.
- you should know that diarrhea, vomiting, not drinking enough fluids, and sweating a lot can cause a drop in blood pressure, which may cause lightheadedness and fainting.
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- taste changes
- swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- fever, sore throat, chills, and other signs of infection
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- dry mouth
- lack of energy
- muscle pains or cramps
- infrequent urination
- upset stomach
- chest pain
- rapid, pounding, or irregular heartbeat